Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Spanish classes begin

I had almost finished a nice long entry and just lost it, so this will be a shorter version. I just finished day 2 of my classes and I have a wonderful instructor named Fernando. We have covered so much in 2 days and since I appear to be the only one at my level, I have a private class! Lucky me! Today we learned the simple future and past tense so maybe I can start to put together sentences that make more sense. I still find, however, that even with broken Spanish I have been able to have quite good discussions with some of the women and also with my instructor. School is from 8am til 12am, with a short break in the middle. By the end, I am pretty brain dead. In the afternoon, the school organizes outings. Yesterday we went on a boat ride around the islettas(islands). Many of the wealthy locals have built fancy homes on these little islands, sometimes one home per island. There was one teeny island that had 3 friendly monkeys that the guides fed and the monkeys put on quite a show for us.We picked up some delicious pizza for dinner and then went for another relaxing swim at the pool. We even felt cool when we got out of the pool, which happens very rarely! Today we opted out of the outing so that we can go to volunteer at a centre that provides free activities for kids in a poor part of town.
I am feeling pretty exhausted today. We have hardly stopped since we got here and I have yet to have a good sleep. I think I´ll try to have a low-key evening!
A group of students are planning a trip to the ocean for the weekend and I want to go for Friday night and all day Saturday. Its a 4 hour local bus trip one way to a place called San Juan del Sur. On Sunday I plan to attend the Spanish Baptist Church and then go back to the home of one of our maids for an afternoon visit(solomente en espaƱol). This maid, Rena, visited us yesterday and during our conversation, told me that she couldn´t read because she couldn´t see well. I was so happy that I had brought an extra pair of reading glasses that I was able to give her. I wish that you could have seen her face when she could see clearly.
Life is good here! Thanks for all of your wonderful messages! I hope that you are also having a great summer! I am constantly reminded here that what is important in life is not what we own, but what we have in our heart. These people have big hearts!
love Jennie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,
Sounds as though you are experiencing such a variety of things there. I think it's amazing that you can correspond with people there after taking so few classes. Knowing you though, your smile and friendly nature probably help so much. I don't know if I could tolerate the heat there - or the lack of sleep!! It does sound like an amazing experience thogu. Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to try something like that!
Did I tell you Colleen just got engaged - so we have ANOTHETR wedding NEXT summer! It's all good though. Take care and enjoy yourself!
Love
Clare

Unknown said...

Hi Jennie! Sounds like you are having an amazing experience so far! I love your pictures! Patricia is on her way to Nicaragua tomorrow, friday the 13th. She asked us to tell you to call her sister Glenda's home next friday the 20th sometime. She will be there and is planning on making a trip into Granada on that saturday the 21st. She was hoping to meet up with you that day. Let me know if you have any questions! Email me at Senara78@gmail.com

Hope you are having a great time!

~Jenica