Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Pictures from San Juan del Sur, Rena´s home in Granada and city of Katarina

I last wrote on Friday, from San Juan. I have included a photo from the wonderful pool and the kitchen from our fancy villa. The next morning, after an incredible breakfast at the hotel, we checked out and then took a taxi to Coco beach(1 hour away). Unfortunately the road was so washed out that the taxi had to stop 1 1/2 km from the beach and we had to walk the rest of the way. It was very hot and humid and we were dripping by the time we got to the beach. I swam in the ocean in my clothes since I had left my backpack at the hotel(woops!) The sand was wonderful and the waves pushed us around! We relaxed and explored until we got poured on. We arrived back at our taxis pretty wet! Yes, the taxis just hung around and waited. Forrest and I took a taxi back to Granada that night($20 each for a 2 hour taxi drive). The next morning Rena, our house help came. She and I went to market where I bought flowers and a vase for her mother(she chose fake flowers because she could keep the souvenir forever) I also bought chips, rum and coke to take as gifts. Rena had invited me to her home(very simple) for the afternoon. Back at our house, she gave me a cooking lesson(all in Spanish because she doesn´t speak a word of English). After lunch, we taxied to her house. She had invited all of her family to meet Sarah and I but unfortunately neither Sarah nor I knew that Sarah had been invited and Sarah was still in San Juan. There was a beautiful cake and so much wonderful hospitality! My facebook has many pictures from Rena´s home and family. On Monday I went back to volunteer teaching English to kids at Calita Feliz but the kids were too hot to focus on English. Somehow we got into French and I held their attention and the group grew bigger for the next 1 1/2 hours. They wanted to know how to meet friends (particularly the opposite sex!).
Today is Tuesday. My lessons are going well(still private classes!).I´m learning how to use the past tense. This afternoon we went to a village called Katerina that is known for pottery. We went to one workshop for a demo and then tried the wheel ourselves.Fun! My pot was a disaster. Then I bought a ton of pottery! The shops around town were very colourful! Bye for now! love Jennie












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures of Nicaragua and specially Granada. I live there as a young child and migrated to New Orleans, LA U.S.A.
in the early 70's and have not being back since. Got home sick just by looking a your photos. Make sure you visit Iglesia Jalteba. Thanks for the memorie