Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Living in paradise for 4 days

These are some of my pictures from Little Corn Island in the Atlantic Ocean, off the east coast of Nicaragua. I went with 3 girls from my language school in Granada and we all LOVED the island!
When we checked in in Managua, we were given a boarding pass that was a real board! What a joke ! So, we took a photo! We flew to Big Corn Island and then went 8 miles on a motor boat in the open ocean to Little Corn Island. What a paradise! No cars! One main sidewalk and then paths that led to various places. The whole island is 3km square. The locals speak Spanish and Creole, which is sort of like
English.We were met by a woman from Casa Iguana and a guy with a wheelbarrel for our bags. We walked on a path through the jungle to the other side of the island, where there was a lovely breeze and an incredible view. Wow! We loved our accommodation. We had our own quaint cabin and then there was a central lodge to hang out in during rain storms or where we could eat breakfast and dinner. At dinner we all ate together(30 in all on the first night) and we were from all around the world!

My 3 companions wanted to sleep on the beach when we arrived so I went exploring by myself! At the far end of the beach, a native islander, Frank; came out of the forest and in creole, asked me if I wanted to have a coconut. I said that I didn`t have money on me but that didn`t bother him. I finally said sure and thus began our ¨walkabout¨, which was a 2 1/2 hour walk around the island. I got my coconut and drank its juice, ate mangoes and guavas, swam in the oceon, walked through the jungle, climbed a high tower(very scary!) to have a great view of the whole island and was shown town from one end to the other. Then Mr. Frank walked me home and was rewarded with a $10 bill that he had suggested numerous times would be an appropriate reward for a nice island visit. I agreed so I didn`t even bargain(which I do love to do!) Our time on the island was so relaxing! Snorkeling(beautiful colourful fish and coral!), reading, playing games and doing puzzles, visiting, swimming, dancing, eating, taking pictures and lots of walking. It was hard to say goodbye to the island on Monday and one of the girls in our group actually opted to stay behind for a few extra days.

Now I`m back in Granada and back to private Spanish classes since John moved on to Costa Rica.
Mike arrives on Thursday and I`m going to keep him sooooo busy for his 5 days here! No surprise for those of you that know me! The lady in orange is Mike`s cousin Jennica`s mother in law, who is Nicaraguan and lives in Portland, Oregon, but happened to be in Nicaragua while I am here. It was great to see her in Granada and Masaya!!! Well, I`m off! Bye!

No comments: